CROCK POT GUMBO: This easy homemade crock pot gumbo features chicken, Andouille sausage, okra, and lots of fresh veggies! I’ve added in rice to make it a complete meal in one! It’s easy to set up and turn on before work, so you can have a family meal ready to go when you get home.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, or 3 large tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces Andouille sausage cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups diced green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic, about 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file
- Tabasco for serving
- slow cooker gumbo
- Slow Cooker Beef and Noodles
- SLOW COOKER WHITE CHICKEN CHILI RECIPE
- Instant Pot Creamy White Chicken Chili Recipe
1 ) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to the insert of a large slow cooker.
2 ) Hand crush tomatoes into the slow cooker and add any remaining liquid from the can. Add onion, rosemary, broth, sausage, okra, celery, peppers, rice, sage, garlic, thyme and salt in the insert of the slow cooker.
3 ) Turn to low heat for 8 hours or 4 hours on high. Allow the gumbo to cook, covered and undisturbed until the timer goes off. Remove rosemary sprig and stir in gumbo file. Ladle into bowls and serve with Tabasco.
NOTES: To peel and seed fresh tomatoes: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Make an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and water. Set aside. Core tomatoes and score an “x” on the bottom. Dip the tomatoes into the boiling water and boil until the skin starts to peel away, but the flesh isn’t mushy, 40 seconds to 2 minutes.
Drain tomatoes and transfer to the ice bath to cool. Drain and slip skin off of the cooled tomatoes. Cut in half along the equator. Gently seed tomatoes over a bowl lined with a fine mesh sieve to catch any juices. Roughly chop the tomatoes. You’ll need 2 1/2 cups for this recipe
SERVING SIZE: 2 cups each | CALORIES: 356 | FAT: 16 g | CARBOHYDRATES: 29 g | PROTEIN: 26 g